The Purple Pelican

The Purple Pelican
3D leaded and plated in nickel

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Setting up this blog

For some time now, I have been considering setting up a blog to share my art glass efforts.  I enjoy visiting the blogs of others and am inspired by them to join the network!  I will try to share some step-by-step views of the projects I am working on.  Currently I am working on a piece adapted from a drawing by GMBChomichuk at Alchemical Press. (Check out his work at http://www.alchemicalpress.com/. It is amazing!)  My intention is to combine fusing, painting and foil techniques to complete this piece.

Here is the sketch that was completed in 10 minutes or less. (Wish I could draw like that!)
The first step for me was to resize it a bit.  Although it would have been cool to create the dragon as a single piece, I had to figure out how to 'chop' it up -- to fit my kiln basically.  I intend to fuse the dragon and the wizard and to use foil method for the background and framing.

I have currently completed 2 firings of the dragon and the wizard.  I started with a clear glass base and cut and positioned the colored pieces atop of the clear.
First firing looked something like this.



I added a bit of detail to the pieces by using powdered black frit as outlining, coarser frit for the scales, some iridescent frit for the wizard's beard, a bit of coarse red frit for some detailing on the wings and inner leg and bent some stringers for some facial detailing on the dragon.  Back into the kiln for the second firing.


The next step will be to add some painted detail to these pieces.
I am away from my studio for the next 3 weeks -- so will resume when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment