The Purple Pelican

The Purple Pelican
3D leaded and plated in nickel

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Prairie scene finished

The multi-layered Prairie scene is finished.  It is about 3/4" thick.  I slumped it over a sconce mold so that it would be self-standing.
I am happy with the thickness -- and no troublesome big bubbles -- though there are a lot of small ones in the sky -- which I kind of like.  I would do the clouds differently next time (I'm told that the left one looks like a space ship!).  The grasses in front are not as I envisioned -- I would probably dispense with the stringers and just use powdered glass in a medium (CMC) to 'paint' them on.  The background is not as crisp as I would wish -- would use thicker layer of frit next time.....
I learned a lot with this piec and plan to try another -- slightly different scene... soon.....

BUT... here is a piece that I am quite happy with.....

I plan to layer a few images to create a woodland scene with some depth.  What I really want is to look INTO the piece.... This was step one ---a hint of sky, some forest colors -- somewhat mirror images - though not exactly.  I fired these 2 pieces separately.


I placed the 2 layers together and fused them again.

I created the tree trunks (2 layers) and fused them on their own -- separate from the main piece -- then layered them on top and added some frit bushes to the side, the illusion on leaves on the tree trunks and put the piece back in the kiln.   I did a tack fuse to preserve the dimension.

I am quite pleased with the result.


ANOTHER PIECE  - A NEW EXPERIMENT
A frit painting







My goal here, is to create a picture with a mood.  The drawing is below the glass as a guide to the placement of the frit.  I spent hours creating frit of many colors ahead of time.  I outlined the key elements with 'liquid stringer' (using black powdered frit in a CMC medium) -- applied with a squeeze bottle.

 
Once all the color was applied I added a border.  (Next time, I would do the border first!).  The entire piece was covered with a sprinking of fine clear frit first -- followed by a layer of medium frit.
It went into the kiln for a full fuse.

The final step was to frame the piece with zinc came.  I am pleased with the result.  The actual piece is not as blue as it appears here -- the photographer's (me) fault -- as it picked up the color of the blue sky outside the window.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment