The Purple Pelican

The Purple Pelican
3D leaded and plated in nickel

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Summer is coming to an end

First chance I've had to sit down and think about glass for awhile.  Kids are back at school -- gardens are littered with falling leaves (hiding all the weeds!) --- so it's time to get back to work.
One of the many highlights of my summer was seeing my grandchildren 'getting into' glass.  My little entrepreneurial granddaughter (8 years old) and her brother (6 years) have been busy making night lights -- which have been selling well in my studio and in a local gift shop.

Here are a couple of examples of their exceptional creativity.













A Prairie scene that I had in a Winnipeg gallery sold over the summer -- and I have been asked to make another for a customer that missed out.

It is quite similar to the first one as requested....


Beginning the background
Adding some detail to the background
-then into the kiln for a full fuse

The foreground is done
separately and full fused as well.

The fused background gets more detail and is fused again.

A clear layer is sandwiched between the background
and the foreground and is full fused.

Finally the piece is draped over a mold and fired once again.


I  was recently asked to create a small heart-shaped grandmother's pendant -- with birthstone (colored glass) pieces to  represent six grandchildren.  I have posted pictures on my website.  Check it out at www.purplepelicanartglass.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment