The Purple Pelican

The Purple Pelican
3D leaded and plated in nickel

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Time to stretch a bit

I recently got the latest issue of the online 'Fused Glass Projects Magazine'.  A contributor, Gil Reynolds, described a process to create what he calls 'flow bars' -- a glass bar with a pattern running through -- something like the spiral pattern inside a jelly roll.  Sounds intriguing -- so worth a try.  The process involves suspending a stack of glass atop a couple of stainless steel rods suspended above a 'box' to collect the liquid glass.


Once the fusing was complete (about 24 hours later), the 'brick' of glass was sliced into strips using a tile saw.  I trimmed the pieces to align evenly and placed them back in the kiln. Because glass wants to be 1/4 inch thick, I dammed the piece to preserve its shape.


Now, what to do with the piece.  I decided to make a dish.  I used a clear base and arranged the elements of the dish on top.  Back into the kiln.


I love the way the clear areas allows light through to highlight the other design elements.


The final step was to slump the piece in a shallow mood to complete the dish.


Well since this worked quite well, I thought I'd try a larger and thicker set up.  The initial fusing went well -- but I had a rather hard time cutting the strips afterward.  I have a few intact strips and many colorful pieces -- so my challenge now will be how to use them.....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment